Sunday, July 21, 2013

3 Years Later


A big smile twitched the corners of my lips when an elevator version of “Memory” from Cats started playing as I waited those long moments to see if they would approve of my documents and let me into the country. At first I thought of the smile as one of amusement at hearing such a song so far away. As some of you may know, though, musical theater sings to my heart…and the real reason for the smile was that this song captured the moment perfectly--my senses, my cognitions, my emotions, my spirit. I was standing immersed in memories. This is my first time to Mumbai, and to be sure it is a unique city with enough people to dwarf many countries. It is a place wholly different from my second home in Kerala. Yet, the rain, the humidity, the food smells, the press of people, the car horns, and even the gigantic billboards for once-familiar products call out to me.

The journey from the airport to the TATA Institute of Social Sciences at 2:00am was at once serene and shocking. The gracious driver who picked me up flew through traffic, missing other cars, people, and dogs by mere centimeters. A part of me urged to scream in fear and exhilaration. Another part, though, knew from memory that all would be well. My prayer is that I can maintain this tension healthily throughout my time in Mumbai--exhilaration at new (and close!) encounters and peace in the feeling of being in a place that sings to my heart.


I am here in Mumbai as part of my social work studies with the University of Chicago’s School of Social Service Administration. I will be in the city for four weeks studying community practice and response to poverty and marginalization through class work and field work. Afterwards I will spend some time visiting my Kerala family. Stay tuned for more as I process the experiences to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment